A fun Halloween treat and a hands-on way for your little one to work with pie crust! Try this healthy recipe and visit Healthy Hands Cooking to learn about our instructor opportunity and healthy cooking classes.
PUMPKIN MUMMY HAND PIES
Makes: 18 Pies servings
Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 package pie crust (two rolls of pie crust per package) thawed, or prepare your own recipe for a
two crustpie leaving you with two disks
- 15 Ounces canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons half and
halfor full fatcoconut milk
- 1/2 Cup Organic Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water) + pastry brush small bowl of water for wetting pie crust
- 3 Tablespoons cinnamon + sugar mixture, optional
- 36 small hard candy eyes (Wilton Brand works well)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, beat together the canned pumpkin, egg, heavy cream,
sugar, salt and spices.
2. Unroll (if packaged pie dough) or roll out one disk of your own pie dough to 1/8″-1/4″ thickness. You’ll work with
the second roll/disk while the first batch bakes.
3. Cut 3″ circles of dough using a cookie cutter and use a pizza cutter to cut some of the circles into strips.
4. Place about 1 tablespoon of filling on one circle, leave a 1/4″ border, wet the border with water and lay strips
across to make the mummy face, pressing ends down to seal.
5. Make an egg wash and brush the secured strips lightly with the egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon and
sugar. Use a spatula to transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for 10-15 mins, crust should be a light brown when done.
7. While the first batch is baking, complete steps 2-7 with the second roll/disk of pie crust, using the same egg
8. Once all hand pies have cooled, push two candy eyes into each hand pie.
Submitted by: Erika Speirs of NorishMe!