These make lovely Holiday gifts, or enjoy them dunked into your favorite tea!
Makes: 48 Cookies
Time: 35 Minutes
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg, large
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, cream together the brown sugar, butter, molasses, and egg.
- In another large bowl combine the flour (begin with 2 cups), baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Whisk to combine and then beat the flour mixture into the creamed molasses mixture, beat in up to 1/4 cup more flour as needed.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch balls. The mixture should be fairly dry and easy to roll.
- Pour the granulated sugar into a wide shallow bowl.
- Roll the balls in the granulated sugar to coat.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are set and the tops have cracked.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Cookies will be soft in the center, but harden as they cool.