Chewy with a hint of citrus. These make a great addition to your holiday rotation.
Makes: 6 1/2 dozen
Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 Cup soft butter
- 3/4 Cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 1/2 Cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- Beat the butter and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg, vanilla and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and oats.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and mix it with a wooden spoon until it’s all incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces, placing each one on a piece of waxed paper.
- Flatten each piece of dough to about 1”, place them on a small tray covered with plastic wrap, in the refrigerator for about ½ hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F
- Roll 1 piece of dough to about ¼” between 2 pieces of waxed paper.
- Cut out the desired shapes and place the cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. These cookies do not spread, so they can be ½” apart.
- Bake for 9 – 10 minutes.
- If the cookies are baked longer, they will be crispier.
- Remove cookies from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Continue to roll out the rest of the dough and bake. These cookies can be eaten as-is, sprinkled with powdered sugar, or decorated.